Langston University Goat and Hair Sheep Field Day
Langston University’s annual Goat Field Day will be held on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at the Langston University Goat Farm with registration beginning at 8:00 a.m.
Recently, Langston University added a small research flock of Dorper, Katahdin, and St. Croix hair sheep. This year’s event will incorporate topics of interest to hair sheep producers.
This year’s theme will be Preventing Production Losses. Featured speakers will be Mr. Matthew Branan, Dr. David Pugh, and Dr. Jim Keen.
Registration for the Goat and Hair Sheep Field Day is FREE, but there is a $10.00 per person charge for the optional lunch of barbecued goat and goat milk ice cream. You can bring your own lunch, if you desire. Regardless of lunch preferences, pre-registration is requested.
The event includes a Goat Field Day for Kids, providing the opportunity for kids to explore and enjoy “old-fashioned fun activities” while their parent(s) participate in the Goat Field Day Program.
Adult participants will attend a general morning session, which will start at 9:00 a.m., and will be able to attend three breakout sessions in the afternoon.
Afternoon breakout session options include:
- Tools in the War on Parasites with Dr. David Pugh.
- Common Diseases of Small Ruminants and Their Symptoms with Dr. James Keen.
- Where Are They Going? A Look at Past and Future NAHMS Goat and Sheep Health National Studies with Mr. Matthew Branan.
- Basic Herd Management –hoof trimming, body condition scoring, FAMACHA scoring, etc. with Mr. Jerry Hayes.
- What Processors Want – learn from a panel of meat processors concerning the type and weights of lambs and goats that they want with Oklahoma meat processors
- Goat and Sheep Farm Budgeting – basics of budgeting and financial recordkeeping with Mr. Clark Williams.
- Pack Goats – basic goat training as a pack animal and equipment needs with Mr. Dwite Sharp.
- Tanning Goat Hides – basic tanning and leather treatment of goat skins with Dr. Roger Merkel.
- The Art of Cheesemaking with Dr. Steve Zeng.
- Nutrition for Health and Production – calculation of energy, protein and feed intake requirements with Dr. Steve Hart.
- DHI Training – supervisor/tester training for dairy goat producers including scale certification with Ms. Eva Vasquez.
- USDA/APHIS: Animal ID with Dr. Michael Pruitt and USDA/WS: Wildlife programs with Mr. Kevin Grant (1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. ONLY)
- USDA/NRCS: Conservation programs with Ms. D’Ann Peterson and USDA/FSA: Farm loans with Mr. Phil Estes (1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. ONLY)
- USDA/NASS: Animal inventories with Mr. Wil Hundl and USDA/AMS: Market strategies with Mr. Cole Snider (2:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. ONLY)
- Fitting and Showing for Youth and Adults – tips and pointers on fitting and show ring etiquette with Ms. Janet and Messrs. Robbie and Coleman Sanders (this is a half-day afternoon workshop).
For more information, contact Dr. Terry Gipson by email or phone (405-466-6126).
A separate all-day cheesemaking workshop takes place the day before the field day.