The Savanna Institute recently released a new series of free infographics explaining concepts in agroforestry.
The graphics provide descriptions of these five common agroforestry practices:
- Alley Cropping – the cultivation of crops in the alleys between regularly spaced rows of trees or shrubs
- Forest Farming – the cultivation of specialty crops under existing forest canopies
- Riparian Buffers – Strips of permanent vegetation alongside a stream, lake, or wetland
- Silvopasture – the intentional integration of trees, pasture, and livestock, managed as a single system
- Windbreaks – strips of trees and shrubs designed to enhance crop or livestock production while providing conservation benefits
Each infographic consists of an illustrated two-page PDF with a summary of the practice’s challenges and benefits, and a section of frequently asked questions about implementation.
The infographics are available free from the Savanna Institute website (email signup required).