Understanding, Measuring, and Managing Soil Health
This international virtual workshop is offered by leading scientists and practitioners in soil health. The Advanced Soil Health Course will be offered October 3 – November 14, 2023. It takes place online over 7 weeks via real-time lectures and guided self-study. This course covers the basic principles all the way to the latest science on measuring and managing soil health.
Live lectures will be held Tuesdays. Office hours are held Thursdays, after live lecture days.
All lectures will be recorded and available within a few hours after the live session, and asynchronous attendance is an option.
Tuesday Lectures: 9:00 am – 11:00 am EST | 11:00 am – 11:30 am Q&A/discussion
Thursday Office Hours: 10:00 am – 11:00 am EST
Who should attend? Any practitioners, educators, or students can expect to take their understanding of soil health to the next level.
Through this course, you will gain an understanding of:
– The connection between soil health and the grand challenge of sustaining future world populations
– Soil health principles and benefits of healthy soils
– Soil physical, biological and chemical processes affecting soil health
– Why and how soil health degradation occurs
– Approaches and methodologies for soil health assessment and interpretation
– Management solutions that improve soil health
– Educational and research approaches related to soil health
– How soil health metrics can be linked to management approaches
Prerequisite: a basic understanding of agronomy, horticulture, and soil science.
Learn from leading Cornell University scientists on topics related to soil health.
– 2.5 hours of lectures per week
– 2-3 hours of self-study and testing per week
– Total of 50 hours spread over 7 weeks
– Additional virtual office hours with the instructors
– Small project assignment (full course only)
– All lectures recorded and made available for review
Choose to take:
– Only the basic modules (three)
– Or the full course (basic & advanced modules)
– Certificate of Completion (all participants)
– Electronic badge (use on LinkedIn) (complete full course and project )